Trump Orders Pentagon to Reduce South Korea Exercises, Citing Kim Ties and Seoul’s Refusal to Assist on Iran

By | August 16, 2026

President Donald Trump said Sunday that the United States will substantially reduce joint military exercises with South Korea, framing the move as both a cost-cutting decision and a diplomatic signal tied to his relationship with North Korean leader Kim Jong Un. The announcement, reported in connection with Trump’s broader Middle East comments, comes amid continued scrutiny of how Washington calibrates readiness on the divided Korean Peninsula while pursuing engagement with Pyongyang.

According to the account described by CNN, Trump linked the planned reduction to what he characterized as his positive ties with Kim and to what he said is a lack of help from Seoul regarding Iran. The CNN report adds that the president also pointed to the state of nuclear talks with North Korea, citing his own earlier position that large-scale “war games” were inappropriate while negotiations were underway.

In a separate report drawing on Trump’s public remarks, Reuters reported that Trump had instructed the Pentagon to substantially reduce joint exercises with South Korea. In the same statement, Trump argued that the drills were costly and that Washington bears much of the expense. He also said the exercises send “a signal” that is “totally inappropriate and hostile,” characterizing them as unnecessary given the tenor of his approach to the North Korean leadership. This framing was reflected in coverage from Reuters as presented by the Jerusalem Post.

BBC coverage likewise described Trump’s post on Truth Social, repeating that he would seek to cut the scale of the exercises and citing his “very good relationship” with Kim. BBC also carried the thrust of Trump’s critique that the drills are not only expensive—particularly for the United States—but also convey hostility to a country he portrayed as having been “unthreatening and respectful” during his presidency. That report echoed the same political logic, emphasizing diplomacy over routine military demonstration. See BBC.

The decision marks another turn in a complex pattern of U.S.-South Korea defense adjustments that have often tracked shifts in inter-Korean diplomacy. Under previous arrangements, annual large-scale exercises have been a regular feature of the two countries’ military relationship. But the background to Sunday’s announcement stretches back to outcomes surrounding summits with North Korea and the degree to which Washington sought to reduce tensions.

As CNN noted, after the Trump-Kim summit in Hanoi in March 2019 failed to yield an agreement, Washington and Seoul announced that their annual large-scale exercises would be reconfigured into smaller drills. The change reflected a broader effort to keep military posture from undermining diplomatic channels, at least in periods when leaders believed progress with North Korea was still possible.

North Korea has repeatedly condemned such exercises, portraying them as rehearsals for aggression rather than purely defensive training. CNN reported that North Korea’s Central Military Commission described trilateral drills involving Japan and South Korea as the “most comprehensive and offensive war drill” conducted on the southern peninsula in terms of scale, content, and nature. That criticism has been consistent across years, highlighting how exercise terminology and structure can carry strategic implications far beyond the battlefield.

Trump’s remarks also tie into his stated view that war games on the peninsula were ill-suited to the moment when the United States was engaged in nuclear negotiations with North Korea. CNN recalled that he said in 2018 it was “inappropriate to have war games” on the Korean Peninsula at a time when diplomacy with the North was unfolding. The Sunday announcement therefore places the decision within a narrative Trump has used previously: military signaling can be counterproductive when negotiation is the central goal.

During Trump’s first term, Washington and Seoul also scaled back joint operations in an attempt to ease tensions with North Korea. The reduction of training intensity in that period was part of an effort to align deterrence with diplomacy, though the exercise regime has been repeatedly adjusted as negotiations gained or lost momentum.

While Sunday’s announcement did not specify the detailed schedule or the precise future structure of the reduced drills, the statements make clear that the core change is a “substantial” cut in the scale of joint exercises. Trump presented the move as simultaneously responsive to allied participation—particularly Seoul’s stance on actions related to Iran—and responsive to his direct channel with Kim. In effect, the president’s argument links coalition burden-sharing on Iran with the tone of U.S.-North Korea engagement.

The announcement also highlights the diplomatic balancing act facing South Korea. Exercises with the United States are widely viewed by Seoul and Washington as vital to readiness and interoperability, yet they are also a source of political friction with the North. Any reduction therefore risks raising questions among South Korean domestic stakeholders about deterrence, while supporters of the shift argue that it could lower temperatures and open space for dialogue.

In the wider region, the claim that South Korea is not assisting on Iran introduces another layer to the calculation. By tying exercise reductions to Seoul’s role in the Iran issue set, Trump appears to be broadening the lens beyond the Korean peninsula alone—suggesting that alliance management will be evaluated across multiple theaters.

Ultimately, the move places the Pentagon’s near-term planning under a new strategic rubric: military drills will be adjusted not solely for training needs, but also for political signaling tied to summit diplomacy with North Korea and alignment—or the lack of it—on Iran-related policy. Whether the reduction helps sustain openings with Pyongyang or complicates deterrence dynamics will depend on how North Korea responds and how quickly the detailed terms of the “substantially reduced” exercises are clarified.

SHOP AMAZON BEST SELLERS, CLICK TO BUY FROM AMAZON.

SHOP AMAZON BEST SELLERS, CLICK TO BUY FROM AMAZON.


Continue Reading

You may also be interested in: Executive order targets routine childhood vaccines as US faces new waves of Covid-19, outbreaks and heat-linked risks

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *